Week Two: Initial Stages of Research

Over the course of this week, I have teamed up with a fellow group member to discuss ways and means of adapting our overall project ideas.

I teamed up with fellow group member, Remel, who is studying live-action combined with visual and special effects, the same field that I’m specialising in. After some careful consideration, I ultimately decided that my second idea, involving an armed robbery chase, felt the most effective for me to work on. This is mainly because of its multiple use of characters and scene changes. My original plan for idea two, was to use a stop-frame background with either 2D or stop-frame animated characters which is combined with a live-action character.

After presenting my ideas to Sam and Ross, I was advised to go down the route of making the whole of idea two live-action, but possibly combine elements of animation into the piece. This of course, could be elements of visual effects. It was even suggested that the live-action characters could perform in an over-exaggerated manner.

I have looked at other videos that have used live-action as the main base, but combined elements of 2d-animation. This technique has been used in many British projects, especially in TV adverts and music videos. I have also looked at works that have used live-action in the foreground, but elements of visual effects in the background.

(Please see video references below…)

Advertisements

Week Two: Scripting and Initial Visual Ideas

Between weeks one and two, all group members began to work on pitching and developing their ideas towards their ‘ETC Campaign’ projects.

During the middle of this week, me and Emily decided to work together on developing ideas towards the project. We began with producing a script individually, of our own ideas. This involved jotting down a few brief visual ideas, before writing them up in the style of a script. I took the approach of annotating the dialogue step by step, with ideas of how I intend to go about producing the project. The dialogue, was the narration that Jamie had sent us. It also acts as the main part of the animation audio.

(Please see initial ideas and first draft of script below…)

et-cluster-broken-updated-script-dan-pdf 

ideas-for-clients-pic-5ideas-for-clients-pic-2ideas-for-clients-pic-4ideas-for-clients-pic-3

Week One: Motion Graphic Trailer (References)

Please find the link attachments below, taking you directly to the main page…

Channel 4 2016 Rio Paralympics Title Sequence

 

 

Week One: The Pre-Production Phase

animation-research-and-practice-pre-production-ideas

Week One’s lecture of the ‘Animation Research and Practice’ module began with an introduction to the assignment. All group members gave a presentation about their upcoming project ideas for the module.

Some group members have decided to produce a portfolio, whilst others have decided to focus on the narrative aspect. I chose to centre my area of study more towards the visual effects and live action aspect.

My first idea was based on an ‘in-car’ scene. The main format would be filmed using live-action, whilst the second main character would be in 2D or stop-frame. The idea would focus on the main character (in live-action) taking the animated character on a car journey around the streets of Wolverhampton. The animated character, however, is some-what clumsy and a ‘bit of a pest’. As a result, he ultimately makes a slight mess of the car.

Idea two, was centred on an ‘armed robbery chase’, by where a live-action character would chase a 2D or stop-frame animated character down the street. I’m still in question as to whether I want use 2D or stop-frame animation. At this moment, I am steered more towards 2D animation as I have found over time that it’s much easier to adapt and manipulate as oppose to stop-frame.

Week One: Introduction to The Assignment… and Client (In This Matter)

Week One’s lecture of the ‘Professional Animation Project’ module was based on an introduction to the assignment. We were also introduced to a client, who our work within the module, must cater for.

The whole group were briefed about the assessment task of this module by Emily. We were then informed that the module involved creating ideas for projects, which must cater for a production client outside of the university. Our client was Jamie Cartwright, who is from the company ‘Stones Throw Media’, which is based in Wolverhampton.

Jamie is an ex-Animations student from the Univeristy of Wolverhampton. He came in this morning to discuss the subject that he wanted all of us to work on. On a weekly basis, we were expected to feed back to him with our input, via email. The subject that Jamie wanted us to focus on, was how the ‘Emergency Telecommunications Cluster’ deals with maintaining mass communication between worldwide organisations, and even loved-ones. When a major incident such as an Earthquake or Tsunami strikes, the ETC is a vital resource.

Jamie gave us a folder with all of the documents we are going to need in order to pitch and construct ideas. This included, a soundtrack of the dialog and a written script (which we could annotate with our own ideas).

Over the course of next week, we are expected to develop a script with our own interpretations of the ‘ET Cluster’ subject. The dialog itself has a total length of twenty-one seconds, meaning that the animation clip can’t be any longer than that. I have already thought of some effective ideas that may work, with regards to narrating the ‘ETC’ scenario.